Wednesday 1 May 2013

day one : story of my life

Readers, I have something new for you. I have accepted the challenge put forward by Jenni to blog every day in May. I thought I would do this to mark the beginning of a new season - yesterday was my birthday - and now I am entering a new, very exciting season as well as a new month. So, join me for the ride if you will. For the month of May you are guaranteed a new read for every day that you may stop by. My wonderful friend Yara is coming along for the ride also. She is a great new blogger, so drop by her space and show her some love! Here we go...day 1

Story of my life in one paragraph.

My beautiful, stylish Mama and I back in the day


I was born and raised in Buckinghamshire England, surrounded by wonderful parents, an older brother and a younger sister. Yep, I am that awkward middle child. After graduated high school I still had no idea what I wanted to do so I decided to take a "gap year" and I moved to Boise Idaho to spend time studying at the Vineyard College of Mission (VCOM). No, I am not Mormon. I mainly decided to embark on this journey because it sounded like a fun way to spend 7 months: read the bible, find out more about God's incredible love, serve in the local community, travel and spend a month serving in a foreign country where I would be involved in medical relief work, teaching and small building projects. These 7 months changed my life. God reaches out and spoke to my heart about not only His love for me, but also the desires of my heart that He had placed there - I began to figure out what it is that I am most passionate about in life, what I want to do with my time and who I am. At this point I had a place at a UK University on hold, and when I was invited to be on staff for VCOM for the following class I could not say no. So, after a brief time back in England, I returned to Boise to be on staff. After this, God put a passion on my parents heart to be in Boise and miracles happened to make that possible. My families visas didn't allow me to return with them so, after googling "best university in the Netherlands" I applied to a Liberal Arts Honors University called Roosevelt Academy, got accepted and moved to The Netherlands. This was a tough season - moving countries alone is no small task my friends! God was great though, I made friends and created community that I feel so blessed to be a part of. I miss my Dutch home. During my freshman year in The Netherlands I felt my heart stir to move back to Boise....Boise was always on my mind....I felt God nudge my heart about returning to Boise for something. Wheels were put into motion and I have ended up moving back to Boise and transferring to Boise State University. Life here is a whole new adventure, I still get culture shock and cringe every time I see someone wearing camo from heard to toe. I don't like the lack of round-a-bouts or manners. I don't like people doing their groceries in their pj's and I don't like all those "men" in their jacked up trucks blaring thrash thrash burn burn music whilst chewing tabaco and honking their horn at you. I am set to be a Brit for life and this is culture shock. BUT I do adore the mountains, the readily available coffee fix on every block, the snow and the summer sunshine....it's an adventure. Oh, and my parents and sister are here too. That's pretty awesome.






3 comments:

Yara said...

I love this, I love that we are doing something like this together :) ! Lets do this Sally :) I miss you and this helps a LOT! <3

Erika from America said...

Hey, I found your blog through the Blog Every Day in May linkup post!!

Wow! What an interesting story! :) Haha, I bet people ask you all the time how you ended up in Boise! :) Also, happy belated birthday!

http://www.chimerikal.com

Nelle said...

Yay! I am looking forward to reading a bit of your story every day:) xxx